Sunday, January 30, 2011

He Wishes

E and Me, Summer 2009
I know this blog up till now has been sillies and funny. But today the Eli-ism I'm choosing to write about is something different, based on a conversation from the other day:

Eli: When I grow up, will I have big hands like everybody else with five fingers on this hand, and five fingers on this hand?(holds up each hand)
Me: No Eli, you won't.
Eli: I won't?
Me: No.
Eli: But I don't like this hand (hits his right hand). It looks like a droid hand. And when I grow up everyone's hands are gonna be big and they're gonna be different. I wish I hand hands like everybody else (he's starting to cry).
Me: But your hands are part of what make you special, and I wouldn't want you any other way.
Eli: But I don't like having these hands.
Me: If I could give you my hands and take your hands, I would do that. It just doesn't work that way. But you are kind, and you're a good friend, and a smart boy, and all those things are more important than how your hands look. And people love you for who you are. You make friends everywhere you go. And a lot of people can't do that.

He crawled up into my lap for about one minute for a cuddle, then was off to play and happy again.

These conversations happen every now and then. Not often. Not even once a month. I don't know what prompted it this time, but after our talk he seemed to feel better.

But that being said, in my heart, I wish the same thing he does...






No comments:

Post a Comment